Today’s mystery artifact once belonged to an Englishman living at Fort Frederick in the mid-18th century. Back then, it was in better shape. This is half of what was once a brass sword hilt guard; it allowed the sword, worn in a scabbard, to rest snugly against the soldier. It was contributed to Maine Memory by the Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands.
The hilt guard was excavated from the officers quarters of Fort Frederick at what is now the Colonial Pemaquid State Historic Site. View a variety of other items on Maine Memory excavated from the site. Fort Frederick was built to replace Fort William Henry, which was demolished in 1696. Learn more here.